Monday, February 22, 2016

TELL ME A TRUE STORY BLOG PARTY WEEK OF 02/22/16



Boy and Dad enjoy a funny True Story
 
You are invited to enter YOUR True Story at our Blog Party.

Have you tried reading and commenting on a few posts near you?
If someone comments on your post, please visit their site and leave a comment.

~ ~ ~

Count to TEN 

Early in our marriage, my husband decided to begin a new career and it required me to go back to work while he learned his new trade. 

My parents had promised to care for our children while I worked, and it was entertaining for them to be with Grandma and Grandpa during the day. 

My job search began first by using the newspaper Want Ads.   I found an interesting ad at an automobile dealership.  They needed someone in their office to do bookkeeping.   

The gentleman doing the interview said, “Quickly in your head add these numbers; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.”  I was always very good at math, and when I promptly gave him the correct answer he shrugged it off by saying, “You probably already knew the answer.”

He ended the interview by telling me to go home and take care of my small children as I might be too over qualified for this job. 

I was disappointed, but kept looking for work.  Soon, I was hired at a small business that needed an accounts receivable person.   One thing was, at this place of work, they never asked me to count to ten!! 

Counting to ten is an old fashioned method used to learn to control your temper.  By the time you get to ten, supposedly you have cooled off and can remain calm again. 

My Pastor’s wife taught me how to control my children by counting aloud, slowly to ten.  I watched her in our church nursery with her two boys, and when they misbehaved she very slowly began her count.  I was amazed at their response to settle down, and I told her so.  I also remarked that I was going to try this very soon with my own children.

She suggested that first I threaten them with a punishment if I ever get to ten.  Provided they changed their behavior early enough they were home scot-free.   

It is not a sin to be angry at evil and un-justice.  However God desires that we control our anger and not be quick to loose our temper and carry it too far into destructive behavior.  

Jesus was angry with the money changers in the temple.  He was upset with their greed, and their disrespect for God’s house.  That day He put on quite a vivid display of Righteous Anger.  It is not a sin to be angry, but we are not to hold on to anger over-night. 

Ephesians 4:26  Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: 

Proverbs 14:17  He that is soon angry deals foolishly: 

Ecclesiastes  7:9  Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger rests in the bosom of fools. 

If you personally are having issues with anger - - Please count slowly to TEN!

~ ~ ~

Be sure to encourage your fellow bloggers near you by reading several stories and leaving comments.

Please follow my other blog:  A Joyful Noise by e-mail.

~ ~~
 

4 comments:

Sharon said...

My dad also taught me that when I disciplined my children, it was more effective to speak softly and slowly than to lose my cool and shout. That also seemed pretty effective!

We must rely on the Holy Spirit to help us discern the difference between our own selfish anger and righteous indignation. And then, of course, He must show us how to properly react.

GOD BLESS!

Cheryl said...

Very sound advice, Hazel. Thank you for this reminder!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Great advice!

Unknown said...

I remember this one... The story of the dealership still angers me! Good advice about counting to cool... timely! Thanks, Hazel.