From my notes during our Bible Study, I present an edited message:
To abide can mean: Remain, Lodge, continue, sojourn, endure and await.
Jesus practiced abiding with His Father, each day, early in the morning.
We are to consider following his example so that we too may be able to draw strength and sustenance from the vine and bear fruit.
In our Bible Study each student participated by taking a promise from a small promise box; reading from it and commenting on what it meant to them.
We discussed prayers and why some prayers seem not to be answered. What might block our prayers.
1. Husbands in their treatment of wives: 1 Peter 3:7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
2. Lifestyle (not taking proper care of ones body:) Addictions: fornication: Anger and wrong thinking.
1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;
3. Diet Proverbs 23:20 Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags,
4. Not getting enough sleep; Psalms 127:2 For so He gives His beloved sleep.
5. Stop sinning: John 5:14: "Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you."
6, Unforgiveness: Matthew 6:15But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
7 Fasting may be needed: Mark 9:29 "This kind only comes out by prayer and fasting."
Jesus was baptized by John with Water, then the Holy Spirit came upon Him setting him apart for His earthly ministry. John declared: Jesus will baptize believers with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Jesus then went out into the wilderness for a 40 day period. He enjoyed the environment, and the animals in the desert, and took time to meditate on the Goodness of His Father God.
During that time Jesus was tested by Satan who tried to tempt Jesus to sin and worship Satan. Jesus quoted scripture and would not yield to the devils urging.
After 40 days, angels came and ministered to Jesus bringing him bread and drink.
Jesus rejoiced to find one lost sheep. It is a big deal to be saved from hell.
John 15:11. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
Celebrate the fact that Jesus completed the Father's plan, and now He comforts and abides in us, and offers us Spiritual gifts to use.