Monday, December 22, 2014

Tell Me a True Story Week 12/22/14



I love a True Story
You are invited to share YOUR TRUE STORY here.

View the notice ON THE "BLUE BACK GROUND above" for
Other Blog Hop Suggestions that request "Anything goes."

Monday evening, the TRUE STORY Blog Party will open.

If you enjoy comments - Remember to give a few to others

Please also follow by e-mail my other blog:  A Joyful Noise.
 

Christmas in By Gone Days

 Years gone by when I was a child at Christmas, we usually received clothing that we needed and a few small surprise gifts.  One special item that we had asked for was often there too.   

I was about ten years old, when I told my mother that I wanted a Shirley Temple doll, she said that particular doll was too expensive.  Instead she took me down to Montgomery Wards and showed me a very pretty doll within her budget.  Blond hair, Brown eyes that opened and closed and she cried mama. Although I didn’t play with dolls much anymore, I loved that doll and kept her for many years.   

It is true that many spoil their kids.  I think they must try to make up for their own meager Christmas when they were young.  When you are on a tight budget, it is difficult to flood your children with an abundance of large expensive gadgets. 

However when you have a "credit card," it seems easier.

WOW - - where did that credit card bill come from?

Yes, my husband and I use a credit card, but the bill is paid in full at the end of each month.  That way we do not owe the high rates of interest.

Few of us would ever own a home if we found it necessary to pay cash for a house.  A mortgage on your home - - as long as you pay each monthly payment when it is due, is another way not to owe any man.  The bill will be there each month whether it is for rent or a mortgage, just be sure to pay it on time.

So if it is a doll you want – choose one within your budget.  A car you need – shop around and get a sensible one.  A home – select one you can afford!

Living beyond your means is the sad fact that can get you (and me) into big trouble. 

Merry Christmas to you all and May you enjoy a Blessed and Happy New Year.

You are invited to enter YOUR TRUE STORY here at our Party.

Please encourage a couple of bloggers near you by reading their story and leaving a comment.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Such good words, Hazel. Yes, this world of "more, more, more" does get a lot of people into trouble. Our old pastor (before we moved) often said that contentment means wanting what you have. The apostle Paul knew the secret to true contentment, and it doesn't lie in this life! May we learn, too.

My very best wishes to you and yours for a very MERRY CHRISTMAS! May your home be filled with His love, joy, and peace!

GOD BLESS!

Laurie Collett said...

Great advice, Hazel! Expensive presents are not worth it if we have to go into debt to buy them. Thanks for hosting, and may you and Robert have a blessed Christmas!