Friday, August 31, 2018

Abiding in the Vine


This Post is digested from my notes as our teacher Linda, 
taught the Bible Lesson on Sunday.




Abide in the Vine

The Jewish people understood about the vine in many of their scriptures, and were reminded about Jeremiah as he likened the Children of Israel to a noble Vine:

Jeremiah 2:21 Yet I had planted you a noble vine, wholly a right seed:  Also Psalms 128:5  "Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of your house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table."

Jesus stated in John 15:1,8-9 that He is the Vine and we are the branches. 
I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

Jesus often spoke with word pictures and parables and He said in Matthew 23:  I would gather you as a hen does gather her little ones under her wing.  

There was much the Jewish people knew of their culture, but they did not understand the Words of Jesus.   They knew many scriptures used  grape vines as a metaphor, but now He was saying He is the True Vine.  They were puzzled.


Micah 4:4 called Israel rebellious and they were as wild grapes.


Psalms 80:8 Israel was compared to a vine brought out of Egypt.

Jesus said again in Matthew 26:29 that He is the True Vine, and that he prunes the vine so more fruit will come.  He trims and cuts away that which is dead and should not be there.

Pruning hurts but it is necessary and has a good effect on our growth.

We have a responsibility to submit to the cutting - - to our habits, thinking, emotional outlook, and be willing to yield to God's will in our lives.

1 Corinthians 9:7  reminds us:  He who plants a vineyard expects to eat the fruit there of.

Vineyards must be watered, and as we allow the water of the Word to seep deep into our being, we shall flourish and be fruitful in our lives.
  







No comments: